The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Off the Handle: Simple Chocolate Syrup



This photo is from the Library of Congress in Washington, DC. 

I always amazed at how much information is at our disposal if we want it.  I love to spend my time in bookstores, libraries, and perusing the internet to research questions I have. 

I recently was attempting to figure out if chocolate syrup is okay for a gluten free person to consume.  But really, even if it's gluten free, did I want to have my company consuming all of that high fructose corn syrup? 

I looked around and--in my usual research style for recipes--found a number of ideas for making homemade chocolate syrup.   I take a little from this, a little from that, tweak something here, change something else, and the next thing I know I have my own recipe that really isn't like anyone else's.   If it comes out good, I put it on the blog.

Simple Chocolate Syrup
(Makes over one cup.)

In a medium saucepan, combine

2/3 cup cocoa,
1 3/4 cup sugar, and
1 cup of water.

Bring it to a boil.  Boil gently one minute. 
Remove from heat and stir in 1 tsp. vanilla.
Let it cool.
Store in the refrigerator.


I had made gluten free chocolate cupcakes.
I poked holes in them,
poured chocolate syrup over it, and
topped it with whipped cream.

A little messy, but everyone gobbled them up!



You really can't go wrong with those ingredients. 

And what if we added some cinnamon to the mix?  Or peppermint? 
Hmmmm.....a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!