The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Saturday, February 5, 2011

Off the Handle: Almond-Ricotta Tea Biscuits


This is another photo from early January in Woodstock, VT. 

Don't expect any non-snow related photos anytime soon.....

Last weekend I perused online for ways to use up ricotta in a gluten free cookie.  I couldn't really find what I wanted.  I wound up with pretty much my own creation.

As I worked, I thought, "What the heck am I doing?"
Then I figured, "How bad could it be?  The ingredients are awesome!"

Turns out it was good enough for the blog.  (Not everything is!)

I sent these to John at college, where he and his friends consumed them quickly.  They are tender cookies, not-too-sweet.  A wonderful way to serve them is in a small bowl, topped with strawberries and whipped cream....kind of a mini strawberry shortcake.  (Amazingly enough, we have strawberries in the grocery store, thanks to the state of Florida!)

Almond-Ricotta Tea Biscuits
(Makes about 3 1/2 dozen.)

Preheat the oven to 350.

Cream 1/2 cup butter
with 3/4 cup sugar.

Add 1 cup ricotta (I used the full fat version)
and 1 egg.
Blend thoroughly.  Stop to scrape the mixer bowl a few times!

Add 2 cups almond flour (I used Bob's Red Mill).

Mix in 10-16 oz gluten free baking mix, or pancake mix.
(I used Whole Foods brand, but I don't think they are making that anymore, so the next time I probably will substitute gluten free Bisquick or something similar.)

Roll into 1 - 1 1/2 inch balls (about 1 Tbs each).

Roll these into turbinado sugar (or perhaps cinnamon sugar).

I think you need something with color here, like the brownish turbinado sugar or cinnamon sugar.  Once baked, the cookie itself is quite "white," even though it browns a bit on the bottom.  That will look a little weird without some kind of covering....

Place the balls onto parchment paper on baking sheets. 
Flatten each ball slightly with the bottom of a glass.

Bake 12 minutes.  Cool slightly, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

 
Update on 5/31/2013:  I made these again, using not quite a full box of Maple Grove Farms GF Pancake & Waffle Mix, probably about 11 oz, until I had a stiff dough that looked like it would work.  These spread out a bit more than the batch above, but they tasted awesome, and traveled well in a box to New Mexico.  We again enjoyed some of them with strawberries and whipped cream, but alone they make a darn good cookie.
 
This recipe is a keeper!