The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Monday, May 4, 2020

Covid Chronicles, Week 8


Best wishes for a happy Mother's Day!

We are very happy to have had a very nice day on our 39th anniversary a few days ago.  Well, it was about as good as it can get with Covid restrictions in place.  We enjoyed a walk in the sunshine, and later in the afternoon Katie called just as John was expected for a visit!  We sat outside, ten feet away from John, with Katie on the speaker phone.  So nice to have a "family visit!"  

After the phone call ended and John left, we cooked a dinner of filet mignon (which we ordered from Omaha steaks just as the problems with meat began to brew), and a dessert of ricotta cheesecake.  Good thing we know a thing or two about cooking!

I was browsing on Facebook this weekend....and I came upon this template for a mask.  It looked to be exactly what I was looking for!   And - it was FREE.  I've never really taken to sewing, but it seems like having a number of washable masks on hand is a good idea right now.  We already had a few masks (two each), but I wanted a more fitted model (like this).  This one looked to be simple for my basic sewing skills.  It worked out pretty well,  The links are included below.  

Perhaps you....or someone you know.....would also like this.  I was happy to share it with a friend who needed the child size for her granddaughter!  

Three of my masks were made from cloth napkins with a fairly tight weave.  I made two more with old denim pants for the outside layer and an old navy t-shirt for the inner layer.  I had enough elastic to make ear-loops for three of the masks; Amazon has some that will arrive in another week.  In the meantime, I cut up an old sock and those became ear-loops on one of mine.  

Thanks to my mom and dad, who gave me a sewing machine years ago as a gift!  Digging out the machine was a chore, but once that's done the machine became more "accessible."  I made five masks!

Here is a photo of the masks made from cloth napkins:

Inline image

Here is the link to the template: