The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Eggs and Home Fries

A short while ago, we had company.  My cousin's daughter, Trish, lives in Albuquerque.  She came across the country to the east coast just to see her relatives!  I hosted a cookout of burgers for her, her husband, the three kids, my parents and my brother.  It was a nice evening.

Our daughter, Katie, is 23.  She is a certified teacher and is getting married soon.  She took the youngest, a 3-year old girl, to do some crafts in the basement.  They used glitter glue to make pictures.  She warned me to be careful of pictures drying on the treadmill when I went there in the morning.....and here is one of the things I found.


I wasn't sure if it was for me or not, but I do answer to "Mom" so I took it and posted it in my kitchen.

Soon after that, Katie noticed it and remarked something to the effect of this:

"I told Victoria to make something for her mom, because whatever you do, your mom will like it because you made it.  It doesn't have to be perfect."

Um.....was this intended for me, or for Trish?

Me!  :) 

Well, that made my day....


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Here is another thing that moms do:  When your local family-run coffee shop (Ken's Corner) closes for summer vacation, and you aren't sure the other area restaurants will be diligent enough to avoid cross-contamination with your gf food, then your mom will make breakfast after Mass on Sunday. 

I fired up my 8" and 12" skillets.  I heated up some olive oil in both....fried up half an onion in the smaller one, then added a can of sliced potatoes and spices.  The larger pan got to fry the eggs.  Good grief, they slid off better than the nonstick pan that I formerly used! 



It's nice to have someone else pour my coffee on a Sunday, but this was fun for a change.