The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sunset in Newport

We took a quick trip to Newport, RI, yesterday.  The Newport Winery had one of their special tastings.  It's always fun.

Having some household tasks to accomplish at home, we didn't even leave our town until after noon.  It's a good two-hour drive, but that gave us enough time to do what we really needed to do.

When I visit Newport, I have to take the Ocean Drive and view the water near Brenton Point.  It's breathtaking.

We climbed down to the rocky area to collect my favorite type of rock:  the nice smooth, rounded, and fairly flat ones.  These are fun to stack in a zen-like fashion. 



Strange....in all these years, I never realized that there is a fantastic view of the sun setting over the water from there. 

I ran around, clicking photos left and right.  I attempted to get a photo of BOTH the sunset and the waves crashing against the rocks, but that didn't quite pan out.



A group of three young adult women asked me to take a video of them with their camera.  Delightfully, I filmed them speaking in Spanish, creating a "commercial" for a brand of makeup, as a class project.  They were incredibly cute. 

Time passed quickly.  I didn't even notice how chilly it was getting until we actually got into the car. 

As we drove, we discussed how sunsets always seem brighter in the colder weather.  I guess it takes a little bit of chill to achieve clarity of vision.  There may be a parallel to life there somewhere....

We didn't get a chance to go shopping at the Brick Marketplace, which we often do.  We wanted to drive a little way, get some dinner, and arrive home at a reasonable hour.  But heck, I already had my rounded rocks (and my photos) as souvenirs.