The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Thursday, August 18, 2011

Off the Handle: Peanut Butter Rice Crispie Treats

Yesterday I decided to make Rice Crispie Treats, considering that Kellogg's has come out with a gluten free version of this classic cereal.  Add to that, I came across a bag of Campfire Marshmallows, with the words "gluten-free" clearly marked on the bag.  YaY!

I used to make these all the time when the kids were little.  Easy and delicious!

I had my own way of doing this, substituting peanut butter for margarine or butter. 
(I have a life-long passion for peanut butter.)

Mmmmm.  I was looking forward to this!

I found that old recipe and got started. 

The "giant roaster" marshmallows that I got were just about 1 oz. each. 
Ten marshmallows, add peanut butter, put in microwave, measure cereal.....

Oops!  The marshmallows were flooding all over my microwave!

Luckily I had lots more marshmallows and stuff.  

Cleanup wasn't too bad.  I was actually laughing over it all. 
Here is the REVISED version of how I make my Rice Crispie Treats. 



Peanut Butter Rice Crispie Treats
(makes 24)

Spray a 9 X 13 glass pan with GF cooking spray.

Into a LARGE (12 cup) microwaveable pyrex bowl, measure out:

10 oz gluten free marshmallows, and
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter.

Put this in the microwave, and cook 2 minutes on high,
watching closely that it does not puff up so much that it overflows.

Stir.  Microwave 1/2 to 1 minute more

Dump in 6 cups of Gluten Free Rice Crispies.

Using a rounded knife or a spatula, stir everything together well and quickly.

Press the mixture into the pan, spraying your fingers or the top of the mixture with your cooking spray.  (This keeps it from sticking to you!)

Cut into 24 squares.