The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Thursday, July 8, 2010

Heaven Burgers

Today I went with friends on a "field trip".  We went to a well-known yarn establishment in Northhampton, MA, known as "Webs."   (http://www.yarn.com/)   (My friend, Meliney, affectionately calls Webs "Yarn Heaven.")  After shopping a few hours there, we had a nice lunch out, and I didn't get back home until it was time to make dinner. 

Last weekend, my brother asked me if I have used the Shetland wool he brought me direct from Scotland.  It's beautiful.  It's in the blue family, my favorite.  But we knitters tend to have something known as S.A.B.L.E., or "Stash Aquisition Beyond Life Expectancy."  It's true.  And I haven't started a project with the yarn from George yet because there is so much yarn calling to me from my stash.

I pulled out the yarn, which I had previously swatched.  It is time.  Do a simple pullover, I told myself.  Just do it.  I pulled out some books and found a pattern.  What detail could I work in to make it special?  Perhaps a different edging at the neck, cuffs and neckline?

I had an idea of an eyelet row with a rolled edge.  Here is my practice swatch, and my attempt at the edging.  The edging is at the top of this photo. 



I like the edge, but when I actually do it I think I will add an extra knit row after the eyelet row before making the purl row and then the rolling edge. 

If this is all strange lingo to you, please just scroll down to my recipe.... 

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dinner had to be quick.  I stopped at the grocery store and got some beef burgers.  I put my 12" skillet on the stove and heated it up.  By trial and error, I found that medium-high is the best point on my stove for this.

A little bit of olive oil to coat the pan, then the burgers, a few minutes on each side.  When they were done, I topped each burger with a slice of red onion and some avocado.  Toppings were either salsa or ketchup.  John likes the salsa.



With cooking, as in knitting, the details can make or break it.  I had just been to yarn heaven, and I wanted a burger worthy of burger heaven.  John had a friend over, and everyone seemed to enjoy the food.  I hope you enjoy it, too!