The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Thursday, July 1, 2010

Grilled Sandwiches

Okay, I have to fess up.  Last night, John politely asked,

             "Mom, what was in that potato pie?"

Uh-oh.

He felt signs of having been "glutened" both after our dinner on Tuesday, and after having leftovers for lunch the next day.  It wasn't really severe or long-lasting; he estimated it was about a 5 on a scale of 1-10. 

After wracking our brains, I decided the only thing could be my pan. 

My 10" pan is the only cast iron skillet that I have been using which I did not purchase new just for gluten-free cooking.  I figured that I probably used wheat flour in the skillet once, perhaps twice.  Ever.

Even with that, when John needed to go gluten free I did scrub it out with soap.  We have since had potatoes and gluten-free flatbread from that pan with no ill effects.  But nothing that I made filled the sides of the pan.

Until now.

So, today I took a Brillo pad, and scrubbed it twice, especially up the sides.  I don't think I got quite down to bare metal, but the soapy stuff looked pretty brown from the residue I got off.  I will re-season and try again.

If it doesn't work, you will know!

The moral of this story?  Get new pans if you must be gluten free.  Either that or really strip it down and re-season.

*****************************

Last night I looked in the fridge and it was pretty bare except for some Cabot Cheddar slices and some leftover red onion.  I decided to make "panini." 

Our sandwiches, not needing to be gluten-free, go on my panini press.  John's, however, can't be next to ours.  Which is precisely why I bought this little thing when I saw it in my nearby TJ Maxx:



It fits perfectly into my 8" skillet!



I was able to nicely grill a sandwich on Aleia's GF bread, with cheddar cheese, red onion, and some jarred roasted red peppers.  I just used some olive oil to grease the pan a little, and put the stove on medium.  It did a good job.  We had that with baked beans on the side. 

I was kind of upset about the night before and didn't remember to take a picture of his sandwich. 

And - for the record, he was fine after that meal!