The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Saturday, July 10, 2010

Flying Off the Handle: Pesto



I have been taking a class, trying to learn more about using my little digital camera.  It pales in comparison to the DSLRs that others have, but at least it is portable.  While learning about the macro feature, I took this photo of my ring:



And here is Katie's engagement ring:



Beautiful!!!


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Here is a gem of a recipe!  Every summer I grow basil outside my door.  I developed my own way of making pesto....it uses slightly less oil, and it doesn't use pine nuts (since no one seemed to care about having them).  When using it with rice pasta, however, the pasta frequently fell apart.  I changed my method to sprinkle the cheese on yourself, and that seems to help. 

HH's Pasta with Pesto

In a food processor, whirl up:

2 packed cups basil leaves, washed and spun dry in a salad spinner
3 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt

Process to a paste.

Toss with 12-16 oz pasta (previously cooked....).  If it's semolina pasta, I then add:

1/2 cup parmesan

and toss again.

However, for the more delicate rice pasta, simply sprinkle on extra cheese to your own serving. 

I always like to add cracked pepper to the top of my own.  Yum!