The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Friday, July 16, 2010

Blueberry Skillet Cobbler

I am lucky to live in an area where we have berry and apple farms.  In the summer it's fun to "pick-your-own" blueberries.  I put on some insect repellent, don a hat, and arrive early in the morning. 


Blueberries amaze me.  All that flavor and nutrition in one neat little package that I don't need to peel or prepare any more than rinsing them off.  Okay, if you step on one it can stain the carpet, but if you catch it early you'll be okay. 



I have seen a few cobbler recipes for the cast iron skillet, and decided to create my own gluten free version.  Here is what I did:

Blueberry Skillet Cobbler

3 Tbs butter or margarine
3 Tbs. oil
1 cup gluten free pancake mix (I used Cherrybrook Kitchen)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
4 cups blueberries, rinsed

Preheat oven to 350.  Put the butter and oil in a 12" skillet, and put it in the oven while it is heating. 

Combine pancake mix, sugar and cinnamon.  Add vanilla and milk, using a wire whisk to make it smooth.  Pour the batter into the hot pan, right over the hot oil mixture.  Sprinkle blueberries evenly over the batter. 

Bake 25-30 min, or until top is browned and batter is set.  Cool somewhat.




I really like the way this came out.  We ate half of it, and then I took the remainder out of the pan and stored it in the refrigerator.  (I understand you shouldn't store foods in a cast iron skillet.)  The next morning, the cake took on a grainy quality, which complemented the berries beautifully.  I almost liked it better!

Unfortunately, a day after berry picking my muscles were as sore as can be.  Regardless, I plan to go picking again.  The rewards are too great!