The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Sunday, November 13, 2011

Four Trailer-Loads

Saturday mornings are delightful.  It's the only day of the week that I can actually get up when I please, which is never very late by any standard (but for a person that gets up at 4:30 4x/week to exercise, even 6 am feels luxurious). 

Yesterday's plan was to work with hubby carting four trailer-loads of branches and cut-up trees to a temporary bulky waste site that the town set up for storm cleanup.  I lay in bed wondering what flavorful nugget I would find in the day.  Yard work is not my "thing." 

The weather was crisp, with a slight breeze.  At first, the tips of my fingers became numb (in spite of the work gloves).  Okay, pay attention to good things instead, I reminded myself.

Under the pine trees, as we piled branches and cut up wood with a sometimes-functioning chain saw, the aroma was lovely. 

It is kind of nice to work together with hubby.  He is really pretty easy to get along with.  I just did what I could, and felt good about being there to help.

By our late lunchtime, I was starving.  Food tastes better when you are starving.

I spent the afternoon doing some cooking and housework.  By 8:30 pm we were both in bed, exhausted from the day's work.  However, physical exhaustion is a lot more pleasant than emotional exhaustion. 

Aromas.  Teamwork.  Food on an empty stomach.  Sleep for a tired body.

Not a bad day!