The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Getting a Handle On: GF Pizza :)

At this point I have had a good amount of experience making gluten free pizza.  I hate to disappoint the reader by saying that I use a mix, but it's the truth.  It works.....'nuff said.

We tried a few brands and like the King Arthur Pizza Crust Mix the best:


I pretty much follow the directions on the box, with these exceptions:


In Step 1, I use 2 Tbs oil plus 2 Tbs additional water instead of 4 Tbs of oil.

Aso in Step 1, it's nice when I remember to add some Italian herbs.


In Step 4, I use cooking spray on the baking sheet/pizza pan.  I form a little more than half of the dough onto a standard 16" round pizza pan, plus a second on a baking sheet.  The dimensions on that one aren't crucial, but I guess it is about 12-14" in diameter.

Regarding pans:  My pizza pans for glutenous pizzas have holes, but I would never try those for GF pizza.  The GF dough is very soft.....which leads me to my other important tip....

It's very important to use WET FINGERS to smooth the crust on the pizza pan or other baking sheet.  I keep my 2-cup measuring cup nearby, with warm tap water inside, to frequently dip my fingers.  (Gluten free dough is nothing like glutenous dough!!!) 


After smoothing the crusts with wet fingers, I spray them briefly with cooking spray, then just let them rise uncovered.




I bake the crusts for 10 minutes or so at 400 degrees in Step 5, then remove from the oven as directed and top in this way:  One pizza, usually the smaller one, gets a few dollops of jarred tomato pasta sauce, about half of an 8-oz bag of shredded mozzarella, and a sprinkling of parmesan.  The second pizza, usually the larger one, becomes the "white" pizza, which is nice because it seems to keep a tad better for leftovers.  Everyone loves the garlicky flavor.  Here's what I do.....

I pour a dollop of olive oil on the crust, smoothing it with the back of a spoon, then sprinkle it with garlic powder and Italian herbs.  On top of that, I sprinkle the other half of the shredded mozzarella, and the parmesan. 

I find that the parmesan really helps to give my pizzas a "pizza flavor!" 

Usually I pop them into the oven for the second baking at 8 minutes, 

Here's how they look:





This is actually enough for five of us, with three of us being light eaters (meaning about two slices each).....plus leftovers for John the next day.