The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Friday, March 11, 2011

Getting a Handle On: Eating Your Veggies!


I am always happy to see Lent arrive.  It gives me an excellent excuse and motivation to make better choices in my life. 

It seems that, for me, anyway, I eat much more "healthy" in the summer, with its preponderance of fresh produce, like blueberries and tomatoes. 

Then late autumn comes, and then the holidays hit.  My home becomes filled with cookies and other goodies....both the kind with gluten (that others may give to me) and the gluten free kind, which I love to bake so that my GF family member can enjoy similar dishes. 

It's just too darn easy to eat these types of sugary/starchy/high fat foods.  It isn't hard to get them or keep them around to nibble on, and the cold weather keeps me inside, where they call to me.

Enter Lent.  YaY for Lent!  I can make some new resolutions that I am more apt to follow just because it's Lent.  This year I am avoiding snacks and really trying to increase my vegetable intake.

Leafy green vegetables are supposed to be the king of all vegetables. 
They are powerhouses of nutrition. 

I am going to buy something dark and green and leafy every week. 
I figure my skillets will get a good workout, too.

This week I purchased a bunch of broccoli rabe
I washed it and sliced it up.
I heated a little bit of olive oil in my 10" skillet,
added 2 cloves of garlic
        (that I minced up with the little dish grater that I got at the flower show),
and added the greens to the pan.
After they wilted but still looked bright green, I sprinkled on a little bit of salt.
(It doesn't make any sense to overdo it on salt when I'm trying to be healthy!)

They do have a "bite" to them, but my health books assure me that I will learn to like it.
And I think I will....