The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chicken with LOTSA Garlic


I had an opportunity last weekend to go to the Hartford Flower Show.  I had never been to a flower show before, believe it or not!  I took LOTSA photos, spent LOTSA money, and had LOTSA fun.....even though I went all by myself.

I like this photo of butterflies courtesy of the "Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory & Gardens" in South Deerfield, Massachusetts.  I'm fascinated by the way the butterflies reflect on the glass in this photo.  The clear wings of the butterflies in the center are very interesting.

The following recipe, which I made last week, is nice as we await Springtime.  I browned the chicken in my cast iron skillet, and finished the dish in my crock pot.  Having LOTSA garlic lifts my spirits the way butterflies and flowers can.

Chicken with LOTSA Garlic
(Serves 6)

In your skillet,
lightly brown 6 boneless/skinless chicken breast halves in 2 Tbs olive oil.

Place 12 new potatoes (or cut up potatoes for 6 servings)
in the bottom of a crock pot.

Add 1 onion, cut up as desired,
1 Tbs oregano, and
a whole head of garlic, peeled and minced.

Put your browned chicken on top of that.
Spoon a little garlic up onto the chicken,
drizzle it with another Tbs of olive oil,
give it a few turns of the pepper grinder, and
sprinkle it with a little more oregano.
I sprinkled the chicken with 1/2 tsp. salt, too.

Cover.  Cook 5-6 hours on high,
or 9-10 hours on low.

**Be sure to spoon the tasty glaze (that sits in the bottom of the pot) over the chicken.  The meat benefits from the moisture, and the flavor is awesome!**




 Those carrots were roasted in the cast iron skillet, like other vegetables I have posted about.