The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Sunday, January 16, 2011

Off the Handle: Disaster Dessert


January has not been a fun month.

I had an ill family member, we were pounded with over two feet of snow in one day, and now I need a root canal. 

Anyway....

Last night we wanted to have a nice GF dinner for John before he heads back to college.  The meal was excellent, with some old favorites like skillet potatoes, but dubbed last night as "Belted Galloway" potatoes due to the white strip hubby peeled around red potatoes before we sliced and baked them:



The Belted Galloways are the cows that look like oreo cookies....

(The recipe for skillet potatoes is noted on my post of August 5, 2010.)


During the day, I decided to make a lemon cake from a mix.  Delicious cake.....made with chestnut flour, featured in my post of July 17, 2010. 

Except that as I pulled the cake out to test it, the whole dang thing slipped out of my grasp, landing upside down over the crack between the oven floor and the oven door. 

Yeah, I was in tears.....

Katie and Andy had just arrived, and assisted with the rescue by picking up all the cake on the oven floor.  The remainder sat in the pan, with a huge crater across it. (My family was calling it "crater cake" at this point.)

We pondered what to do for a while.

Trifle?  I'm not sure John can deal with the amount of cornstarch in pudding.  We thought of cooking up some apples and filling the crater with that.  A lot was going on in the kitchen, however, so another cooking project didn't seem to work out.

I looked in my basement.  I had a jar of lemon curd!

I spread the lemon curd all over the wrecked cake after it cooled.  We cut it up and served it with a dollop of whipped cream.  And hey....it was pretty good!



They say that when life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
We made a pretty good lemony dish, which I call "disaster dessert."