The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Flying Off the Handle: HH's Family Favorite Beef Stew


This garlic press has a story. 

Look closely at it.  After you read the story you will want one.

See the little garlic papers?

A number of years ago, I went to a Pampered Chef party.  (No affilliation.)

The Pampered Chef consultant demonstrated their remarkable garlic press.  You put a garlic clove in it, without bothering to peel the garlic clove.  Press it through...and presto!  The garlic presses out, the paper stays in!

"Cool," I thought.  "I didn't know you could do that.  I have a good quality garlic press at home, and I'll bet that will work fine."

I went home. 

I tried it.

Apparently, a "good quality garlic press" may not be the best garlic press!

I called the Pampered Chef consultant.

You see the results above. 

This tool is made by Zyliss, by the way.  For what it's worth....


I decided to make our "family favorite" beef stew recently.  I have used other beef stew recipes but my family has always favored this one.  I found it was easy to use gluten free flour in this recipe.....I just substituted it 1:1; and the stew was just fine.  No better....no worse....just as delicious.

Anyway, I had a lot of garlic in my cabinet. 

I went a little overboard on the garlic.  (Can you go overboard on garlic????) 
That darn press makes it so easy.....

HH's Family Favorite Beef Stew

Serves 6, at least....reheats well....

Place 1-2 lbs. of lean stew beef in the crock pot.

Add 1/2 cup GF flour (I used Bob's Red Mill) and stir to coat the meat.

Add:  1/2 tsp pepper,
1 1/2 cups beef broth,
1 tsp GF Worcestershire sauce,
2 cloves garlic (or equivalent of garlic powder)....or more?
1 tsp paprika,
4 carrots (sometimes I use a pound!), sliced....or even a pound bag of baby carrots....
2 onions, chopped (somehow this tastes better),
3 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks,
2 tsp Gravy Master, and
1 tsp Dijon mustard.

Stir it all to mix.

Cover and cook the equivalent of 10-12 hours on low (or 5-6 hours on high).

Optional additions:
   Mushrooms
   One can chick peas (garbanzo beans)
   Parsnips
   Celery