The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Hot Handle Bananas in Spiced Rum

This photo has a story:


This weekend we had our neighbors over.  It was a really nice evening!  For dessert, I concocted a non-flaming-but-hot sort-of-a-bananas-foster ice cream topping in my 10-inch skillet.  It was quietly and completely devoured by everyone.  I was really impressed.  So impressed that I decided to buy more rum and bananas.  But that's not the story of this ice cream bowl.

As I assembled all the ingredients to whip up this baby quickly and not take time away from my company, I realized dishes like the one pictured above would be perfect.  Yes, the dishes that I .....uh.....used to have.  I recalled that I had given them away to a local Goodwill Thrift Store.  They simply were taking up space in my cabinet, and I hadn't used them much. 

Well, we used my trusty little Pyrex glass bowls instead, but I was a little rushed with the ice cream melting under the hot bananas.  Add to that the low lighting so we could have "ambience" with my guests, and....well.....the photo below isn't the best to showcase this dessert.

Three days later, I was driving by this thrift shop and had to stop there anyhow to donate more stuff.  I decided to go in and look around.  Lo and behold, there were my bowls!  On sale! 

I had them all wrapped up and ready to go for two dollars.

Well, it was raining, and you must know what that's like.  I didn't want to get wet and attempted to get these in the car quickly. 

You probably know where this is going, right?

Did I say it was raining?

One fell out onto the pavement.  But no, wait, it was okay....

And it was raining....

And as I attempted to put the rest in the car another fell out.  And broke.

And it was raining....

There wasn't much to do except pick up all the pieces, not wanting to give anyone a flat tire.  I walked back to the store, in the rain, to dispose of it properly in a trash can.  I drove home and mourned the loss of my nice neat set of four that I almost had again. 

I only write this because I am guessing the reader can relate.

Anyhow, here is the recipe for my dessert.  It's better than it looks.  Way better.

Hot Handle Bananas in Spiced Rum
(Serves 4)

Place 2 Tbs butter in a 10-inch skillet on your cold stove.

Mix in a bowl:

1/2 cup dark brown sugar,
3 Tbs spiced rum (Captain Morgan is supposed to be okay, gluten-wise),
1 tsp vanilla,
1/2 tsp cinnamon, and
1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used hazelnuts).

At serving time, turn on the stove and melt the butter.  Stir in your sugar mixture.  When it bubbles, add 3 bananas, peeled and sliced.

Reduce heat.  Cook 1-2 minutes, or until bananas are hot.  (You don't want to cook too much or the bananas will get mushy.) 
Cool slightly and serve over vanilla ice cream
Put on a dollop of whipped cream

Don't bother taking a photo.  Just eat.  The potassium is good for you.