The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Wednesday, October 27, 2010

HH's GF Macaroni and Cheese


John was home this past weekend to study for midterms.  Above you can see him hard at work, with roasted pumpkin seeds as brain food.  I would post the pumpkin seed recipe....after all, I did it in the cast iron skillet....but no one devours pumpkin seeds around here.  Therefore, it doesn't pass a critical test.  You don't want to see recipes that no one ate up, do you?

He had a special request before he headed back to the University:  Could I please make him some macaroni and cheese?  That's the one thing he can't get at school......

Okay.  I accepted the challenge.  But seriously....I had never made "real" macaroni and cheese!  While the kids were growing up, I would simply open a box of the stuff with the package of powder, and that was that.  I had tried a gluten free version of it when we first needed to cook gluten free, and I was not pleased.  There had to be a better way. 

I researched the web for standard mac and cheese recipes to adapt.  I liked part of one recipe.  I found baking directions from another recipe. I wanted a topping, and couldn't find what I was looking for, so I made my own.  Below is the result of a conglomeration of my findings. 

When I made it, John, Peter and I all sat down to critique it at lunch.  I was pleased to find that the texture of the pasta itself was perfect!  Could it be?

We also liked the crunchy crust and topping.  100% success!  Excellent!

"John," I began, "I don't think this will be as good reheated as it is now.  Don't you want some more?"

Well, he has never been one to stuff himself.  The answer was no, although he certainly loved it.

Today Peter and I ate leftovers for dinner.  I splashed water on the leftover mac and cheese, heated it in the microwave (covered), let it sit a few minutes, and.....

Good grief!!!  It tasted as good as before!!!  And NO ONE would believe this is gluten free pasta!!!

The upshot?  TRY THIS.  It's darn good!!!


HH's GF Macaroni and Cheese

Serves 4.

Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly grease your 10" skillet.

Cook 8 oz of Tinkyada Pasta Joy Shells in boiling water (uncovered) for 10 minutes.  Drain and rinse.

Mix together 1/2 cup of nonfat instant milk powder and 5 oz water

Place 1/4 of the pasta in the skillet.  Take 8 oz. of Hoffman Sharp Cheddar (or your favorite cheddar that isn't low-fat; it can be sliced or shredded).  Put 2 oz over the pasta.  Layer a few more times until you have used up the pasta and cheese.  Pour your milk mixture around the edges.
Mix in a bowl: 

1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs (I made mine from previously purchased GF breads, and stored it in the freezer),
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese,
1/2 tsp Italian herbs, and
1/2 tsp garlic powder.

Sprinkle this over your macaroni and cheese mixture.  Drizzle the top with 1 Tbs. olive oil. 

Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and the top is starting to brown.

Let it sit a few minutes and serve.