The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Sunday, October 24, 2010

Getting a Handle On: Fresh pumpkin!

Yesterday I stopped at a farm stand for flowers.  To the right of the door were pumpkins marked, "Field Pumpkins."  To the left were smaller pumpkins with a sign, "Sugar Pumpkins."  Those are the ones for cooking.....hmm.....

One of the cool things about blogging is that it forces me to get creative, to think ahead....and then I wind up having way too much fun in the process.  I did have other work to do, like putting vocabulary and comprehension questions onto the computer for student use tomorrow, but that got done while pumpkin-y delights were in the oven.  It tends to all work out in the end, especially since I'm fairly organized and do things in steps. 
Here is the pumpkin I brought home.  It was about three pounds.


I washed it, and sliced it in half....



I scraped out all the seeds and stringy stuff with a spoon.  I found out afterwards that an ice cream scoop works well with this.  That sounds like a good idea; will try it next time.

The pumpkin halves were placed cut-side-down in a lightly greased baking dish.  I baked them at 375 for an hour.  They came out looking a little funky:



I let them cool a bit, so that I could handle them and scrape out the insides.  The one on the above right is slightly scraped out.  I wound up with 3 cups of pumpkin!

Now what to do....?

I suddenly realized that I had the perfect recipe, based on one from the Moosewood Cookbook.  Gosh, that book was my standard in the early 80's. 

We called it, "Pumpkin Pie, Unwrapped."  Here's what I did:

I put the following into a large bowl:

My 3 cups of cooked pumpkin,
2/3 cup honey,
2 Tbs molasses,
1/4 tsp ground clove,
2 tsp cinnamon,
1/2 tsp salt,
4 eggs, and
1 12-oz can evaporated milk.

I used my hand blender to puree the whole thing. 

I poured most of it into a large pie pan, lightly greased.  The rest went into my 6-inch cast iron skillet, which was also lightly greased.  I had already preheated the oven to 450, but turned it down to 350 when I placed the two pans into the oven. 

The 6-inch pan took about 45 minutes to be done (test with a knife near the center, it should come out clean).

The pie pan took 60 minutes. 

They looked like this:





The little one was nice as a little snack, but it didn't look as pretty once I pulled it out of the pan.  (Don't store food in your cast iron skillet!)  As for flavor, however, these are much more tasty than the pumpkin dessert I made on October 11th.  Perhaps it's the honey; perhaps it's the fresh pumpkin...