The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Thursday, October 21, 2010

Flying off the Handle: Corned Beef and Cabbage


We SLPs that work in the schools deal with quite a number of teachers and staff.  Every so often some of these people have babies.  I made the above baby hat for the baby of a special education teacher I have been collaborating with.  The hat below is for the soon-to-be-born baby of a woman who works with special needs students in vocational activities. 


Cute, huh?

This week I have developed a cold.  I need a little babying myself.....

Comfort foods are nice this time of year.  Even though many of us think of corned beef only in March, at St. Patrick's Day, my local market has a sale on it in the Fall, as well.  I think their corned beef is the best anywhere.  I have a recipe that my family has loved through the years.  So easy.....so comforting....

HH's Corned Beef and Cabbage

Get yourself a 2-4 pound corned beef brisket.  "Flat Cut" is what I get.  I severely trim the meat of excess fat.  That's what I get for being health conscious.  (As if this fatty, salty meat is healthy.....)

Put in a large crock pot:

1 1-lb bag of carrots, peeled and cut into 1" chunks;
2-3 potatoes, washed and cut into chunks  (Peel if you want.);
2-3 onions, quartered  (This time I decided to put in a bagful of frozen pearl onions, instead.);
Optional:  a few parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks;
1 cup water; and
Your corned beef, fatty side up.

Cook 5-6 hours on high or 10-12 hours on low.

Take a small head of cabbage.  Cut it into wedges, usually 8 of them (depending on the size of the cabbage).  Put them in a skillet with a cover.  For me, that's usually my stainless steel skillet....habit, I guess!

Remove about a cup of broth from the crock pot, using a ladle, pouring it over the cabbage.

Cover and cook 20-30 minutes on medium or medium low heat.  You want it to bubble but not boil over.

Yum!

FYI:  The cooked weight of corned beef is about half that of raw.