The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Veggie Stuffed Shrooms

Remember the three pinch pots I made and posted a photo of on July 22?  Well, I finally have them back, all fired up and finished.  There is one in particular that I thought would be perfect for a candle.  It cooperated by allowing a glass votive candle holder to fit perfectly inside.  We have been using it during dinner to provide a little ambience.  Here it is:



Something I am proud of, asymmetrical and imperfect by design.....

I am proud of my recent stuffed mushrooms, as well.  I was in the store to buy chicken for our cookout last weekend (with the drunken nectarines for dessert), standing in the produce department, and looking over the big portobellos.  They were just too big for our party of four.  What could I do with them? 

Then I noticed the huge white stuffing mushrooms next to them, and I suddenly saw the light.  I could make stuffed mushrooms in a cast iron skillet!  As I put it together at home, however, the stuffing appeared rather soupy.  It was getting late, and I didn't have a choice....I stuffed the mushrooms with it, regardless.  I tasted the leftover.  It tasted good, but I could just see the whole thing collapsing into the plates as we cut into them.  I doubted it would make it to my blog like this.

Obviously, I was wrong!

What did I learn?  I learned to heed the lesson of my wabi-sabi pinch pots!  As I embrace imperfection, I just may come up with something that is darned near perfect. 

Veggie Stuffed Shrooms
(Serves 5)

Clean the mushrooms from a 14-oz pkg. of big stuffing mushrooms (about 10). 
Remove the stems, saving them.  (Rocking them back and forth helps to remove them.)

Preheat the oven to 350.

Chop up finely (I used my electric chopper):

1/2 onion,
1/2 green pepper,
1/2 red pepper, and
the stems removed from your mushrooms.

In your 8" skillet, saute the chopped veggies in 1 Tbs. olive oil.
Add 1 tsp Worstershire sauce
and a few turns of the pepper grinder

Remove from heat. 
Stir in 1/4 cup cream cheese, and
1/4 cup of gluten free feta cheese (I used Alouette brand).
Quickly beat in 1 egg white.

Lightly grease your 10" skillet.
Arrange your shrooms in it.
Stuff your shrooms.
Sprinkle with 2 Tbs. parmesan cheese.

Bake 30 min. 
Admire the pretty flecks of color.
Eat slowly and savor.