The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Celebrate Autumn Soup


A short while ago, I was getting into my car at a parking lot in my town when this bright red maple leaf landed right in front of me.  I took it home to photograph it. 

Autumn officially begins tomorrow.  The weather today started out relatively cold, but turned out beautiful, with a nice breeze and plenty of sun.  Tuesdays can be a bit hectic so I made this soup.  It combines the cast iron skillet with the crock pot, which is perfect for cooler days.  I browned ground beef and combined it with easy ingredients to make a hearty dinner. 

I once tried using ground beef in the crock pot without browning it first.  Boy, that was a mistake!

Celebrate Autumn Soup

Brown 1 lb. of ground beef in the 10-inch cast iron skillet.


Put in a crock pot with:

1 Qt. gluten free beef broth.  Be careful here....read labels!  I once glutened John before understanding that broth can have gluten.  Go figure....

Add:

1 onion, chopped,
2 potatoes, cubed,
1 8-oz can tomato sauce (I used Hunt's),
1 16-oz bag of frozen veggies (I used Birds' Eye Sugar Snap Stir Fry!)
3 cloves garlic, run through a garlic press,
1 tsp Italian seasoning, and
1 gluten free beef bouillon cube (Again, be careful and read labels!  I used HerbOx.)

Turn on the crock pot and cook 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.


My skillet seemed to need a bit of seasoning today for whatever reason.  After cleaning it with hot water and salt, I spread on some Crisco shortening, heated it up a little on the stove, then wiped out the excess. 

Looking good!