The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Saturday, November 26, 2011

Knitting & Risk

This fall I obtained the measurements of my daughter's Miniature Schnauzer, with the intention of making a sweater for him.  Thinking it should be done prior to Thanksgiving, I got it started in late October. 

As I progressed, however, doubts continually surfaced.  Will the neckline fit over his head?  Is this *really* where his forelegs go?  Will it be long enough?  Gosh, this looks strange!!

I did not have the luxury of holding it up to the dog to check.

The Halloween snowstorm gave me some unexpected time to knit.  I had it finished by the time my son-in-law stopped by to help us with some storm clean-up.

"Do you think it will fit him?" I asked.  Hard to tell.  A dog sweater looks nothing like a people sweater!

A few days later, they were visiting for some birthday celebrations.  It wasn't the dog's birthday, but he got the sweater as a gift, anyway.

Lo and behold, it FIT!  Not only that, he didn't mind wearing it!

From this story, I have been thinking about the need to take a risk once in a while.  It doesn't have to be a risk to the degree of jumping out of an airplane, but it's good to try something new... 

because feeling proud of a new accomplishment is a good thing.