The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Monday, July 4, 2011

Off the Handle: More Pizzelle

Happy Independence Day!

We were at Old Sturbridge Village today, and they had two new calves at the Freeman Farm.  One was pretty frisky, and it apparently wanted to get the other to play.  Here is its picture:


For the two weekend gatherings that we hosted, I decided to make pizzelle again.  I looked over my boxes of gluten free cake mixes and decided to use a 15-oz package of Betty Crocker Gluten Free yellow cake mix for a version of my cake mix pizzelle recipe of April 23, 2011.  Here's what I did:

I heated up my dedicated gluten free pizzelle baker.

I melted 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter in the microwave for 30 seconds.

I used a wire whisk to smooth out the melted butter.

I added 3 eggs,
about 1 tsp of vanilla, and
about 1/2 tsp of anise extract, and
the cake mix.

I didn't need to add any water as the dough was not as thick as I am accustomed to for pizzelle.

I baked each pair of pizzelle for 33 seconds (using a digital timer) with about 1 Tbs glops of dough, possibly less.  This recipe makes 32-36 pizzelle.

The pizzelle came out a little thinner than usual.  John liked them the best of all my pizzelle!

I dust them with powdered sugar before serving. 

Always yummy!  No gluten necessary for good pizzelle....