The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Thursday, July 7, 2011

Off the Handle: Dessert Pizza

While visiting Old Sturbridge Village on July 4th, we watched as the sheep were moved from one place to another.  They ran across the common for this.  Hubby quickly dubbed this, "The Running of the Sheep," as if it was Old Sturbridge Village's version of the running of the bulls in Pamplona, Spain.




We thought that was pretty funny!

The night before we had nine people at the house for dinner, and two more joined us for dessert time.  I was inspired by this recipe from glutenfreely.com.  (That's a link you can click on to see, by the way....)

I didn't have Betty Crocker Brownie Mix, although I think it is very good.  I used one 16-oz package of Pamela's Chocolate Brownie Mix instead, prepared roughly according to package directions.  (I always take steps to reduce the fat somewhat if possible, so I used 1/4 cup of oil and 4 oz. of pureed fruit instead of 1/2 cup of oil and the water it called for....)  I spread this onto a pizza pan, previously sprayed with cooking spray.  I smoothed it out nicely into a 12" circle with wet fingers. 

I baked this brownie crust at 350 for about 19 minutes.  I let it cool completely in the pizza pan.

I mixed one 8-oz package of Neufchâtel cheese (the "light" cream cheese) with the 1/3 cup of sugar and some vanilla.  I put this aside in the refrigerator.  I also pitted and sliced in half exactly 30 cherries, enough for five cherry halves per pizza slice.  I wanted red on top due to Independence Day weekend.  I think most any fruit would be good on this, however. 

Just before serving, I spread the cheese mixture on the brownie crust, cut it into 12 slices, and decorated each slice with the fruit.  It looked really nice and tasted great.