The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Saturday, June 4, 2011

Apple Skillet Cake

Yesterday was my birthday.  I needed a cake to tote over to my parents' house in the evening. 

Not long ago, I purchased this book, "The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten-Free" by Anne Byrn.  I have some of her previous books, which I don't anticipate using much any more since all the recipes contain gluten.  I was very excited to see this one!


On page 167 is her "Fresh Apple and Pear Skillet Cake."  I used this cake mix by Cherrybrook Kitchen:



I made modifications, of course.  Instead of 6 Tbs of butter, I used 4 Tbs of butter plus 2 Tbs of canola oil.  I used strictly butter in the apple mixture which comes out on top after you flip it over onto a plate, and the leftover two plus two of oil in the cake mix.  I also used two apples instead of an apple and a pear.  I omitted the instant pudding mix, and added about 1/4 tsp of nutmeg.  (Of course ... Connecticut is "The Nutmeg State!)

Here's how it looked when it came out of the oven.


At that time, I looked at the directions, which I should have done more carefully to begin with, and it said,

      "Serve the cake warm."

Impossible.  I wasn't heading to my parents' house for another four hours!

I waited the five minutes, ran a knife around the edge of my 10-inch cast iron skillet, and flipped it over onto a cake plate.  The plate had one of those dome-like covers.  That worked out well to store it after it had cooled. 

Being cooled, the cake was FINE.  It tasted delicious with a dollop of whipped cream!  My parents liked it with a spoonful of vanilla frozen yogurt on the side. 

In any case, it was an excellent birthday dessert.  I would like to try this with other fruits!