The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Amazing Flourless Chocolate Cake

For Father's Day, I made an amazing flourless chocolate cake that is actually fairly healthy.  What a find! The "surprise ingredient" would have astounded family members if I had told them about it.  Everyone enjoyed it.

I stumbled upon this recipe on allrecipes.com:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/garbanzo-bean-chocolate-cake-gluten-free/detail.aspx

Of course, I made changes.  In direction #1 it says to "grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan."  Well, only use flour if it's the gluten free variety.  I didn't bother; I just used cooking spray.  I used an 8-inch glass pan instead of a 9-inch pan.  It worked out fine.

I didn't invert the cake onto a cake pan.  Instead, I just let it cool in the pan.  When it was cool, I sprinkled it with confectioners' sugar and toted it over to my brother's Father's Day cookout. 

The first piece out of the pan crumbled apart.....so I took that one. :)

The texture of the slices at that time was somewhat cake-like, but not dry. 
I served them with low-fat vanilla ice cream on the side.

The next day, after a night in the refrigerator, the one remaining slice was happily consumed by John.  He reported that it was more like fudge by then. 
He appeared to like them both.

Two possible textures....in one delicious cake!

I can't believe I forgot to take a photo!

I will DEFINITELY make this cake again!