The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Saturday, April 23, 2011

Chocolate (Cake Mix) Pizzelle



With Easter being tomorrow, I wanted to make a dessert that everyone at my brother's house will enjoy. 

I planned to make pizzelle, and roll some up to make cannoli.  I anticipate that everyone will be surprised at how good they are.  My gluten free pizzelle/cannoli recipe was posted on January 22, 2011.

I had a box of cake mix that I wanted to use for something.  It's called "Gluten Free Dreams," and the package looks like this:


Here is how I made my cake mix pizzelle:

Cake Mix Pizzelle
(Makes ~30)

Melt 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter in the microwave. 
(I did this for 30 seconds.  It doesn't have to be completely melted.....
you don't want to cook the eggs in the next step!)

Use a wire whisk to smooth out the melted butter. 

Add 3 eggs and whisk it up. 

Add one 16.4-oz package of Gluten Free Dreams Cake mix.
(This was about 2 1/4 cups.)

I needed to add 1-2 Tbs of water to make a soft dough.

Heat up your pizzelle baker.
Bake 33-35 seconds.  I have a digital timer that works well for this.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.


While I was at it, I made cannoli with my standard recipe. 
Here is a picture of how they look:


I made these by wrapping the newly-baked (soft) pizzelle around these cannoli forms:



As the pizzelle cool, they harden around the forms. 
It didn't take any longer than waiting for the next batch to cook. 

Tomorrow I will fill them just prior to serving.

I look forward to Easter dessert!!!