The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Friday, March 18, 2011

Off the Handle: Mini Cherry Cheese Charmers



My crocuses are blooming!  Spring is here!

I love the first crocuses of Spring.  I have been known to be jumping up and down while admiring them.  I love the way I can plant the bulbs in the Fall, and in early Spring they come up all by themselves, as if by magic (unless the moles eat them first).  When I see them, I know warmer days are a certainty.

These mini cheese tarts look almost as pretty as crocuses. 
My family loved the nut crust!

Mini Cherry Cheese Charmers
(Makes 12)

Preheat the oven to 375.

Put muffin papers into 12 muffin cups.

Mix 1 cup of hazelnuts (or other treasured nuts)
with 2 Tbs melted butter, and
3 Tbs sugar
in a food processor. 
Stop when the nuts are looking like coarse sand.
(You don't want to make nut butter!!!)

Divide this mixture into your papered cups.  Using wet fingers, press the mixture into the bottom and a little up the sides of each cup.

Take an 8-oz. pkg. of cream cheese, and
blend it with one egg,
1 tsp. vanilla, and
1/4 cup sugar.
(I used a hand mixer.)

Divide this mixture into your papered cups, on top of the nut crust. 
Use wet fingers to smooth the tops evenly.

Bake 14 minutes.

Cool.

Place a tablespoon of Solo Cherry Cake and Pastry Filling on top of each.

Refrigerate and serve cold.