The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Off the Handle: Healthy but Yummy Cole Slaw


This is a photo of the bright full moon on Saturday evening, taken across the street from my home.

On Sunday evening, I wanted to make a low-sodium, low-fat dinner.  Basically, it needed to be healthy.  We grilled some turkey burgers, and served them with baked beans, red pepper strips, my healthy cole slaw, and some cooked up apples with craisins and raisins for dessert. 

My brother really liked my cole slaw!  I took the leftovers to work the next day.....I mixed the leftover cole slaw with a half can of rinsed and drained black beans.  It made a satisfying lunch!


Healthy but Yummy Cole Slaw
Serves 6

Take one 16-oz. bag of cole slaw.

Put it in a plastic bowl with an airtight lid (like Tupperware or Rubbermaid).

Add 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar,
1 Tbs olive oil,
2 Tbs sugar,
1 tsp instant minced onion, and
1/2 tsp celery seed.

Unfortunately, I didn't have celery seed. 
I substituted Italian herbs.
It was fine, but I decided to purchase celery seed for next time.

My original recipe called for 1/2 tsp of salt, but I left it out.
It was fine!

Put the lid on your bowl.
Shake it up.
Put it in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Serve.


Cole Slaw by Itself

Cole Slaw with Beans