The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Friday, March 25, 2011

Getting a Handle On: Greens & Beans


This is another view of that awesome full moon last weekend.  It was hard to take a decent picture with my little camera....but this one looks a bit like Saturn.

I have been cooking up those greens.  Usually it's by heating up a little olive oil, or even a flavored olive oil, in the bottom of my 12" skillet.  I might then add some onion and/or pepper, chopped.  I then add the greens, usually broccoli rabe, chopped.  I let it sit until it's wilted.  Then I add a can of rinsed and drained beans.....pink, black, black-eyed peas....whatever.  Once I added a splash of balsamic vinegar and called it a "salad."  I brought it to work for lunch, and it was great. 

Today I took my leftover broccoli rabe & bean concoction, microwaved it with some tomato sauce, and used it to top a single serve portion of pasta.  A bit of parmesan on top and it was a pretty good meal.  It inspired me to be thankful for lots of things.....healthy food, good friends, books....all that kind of stuff.

Yeah, it's Lent all right.  I get all introspective and tap into feelings of gratitude. 

(I like Lent!)