The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Saturday, March 5, 2011

Fraiche Mushroom Pasta (with chicken)

When I was at the Flower Show last weekend, I picked up this little thing to use with garlic:


You moisten the plate, which has sharp-ish bumps.  Slide your clove of garlic into the blue silicone tube on the left and roll it around to remove the peel.  Take your peeled garlic and rub it around on the plate, discarding the stem end.  It's supposed to be far superior to using a garlic press.  I'm not sure of that, but it looked like fun, anyway.

I went grocery shopping last week after a difficult day at work.  A tough day often makes me justify some impulse purchasing.  I spotted a container of "creme fraiche" in the deli area.  I had never tasted creme fraiche before, but I had heard about it, and my hubby actually had it once at a social event that I didn't attend.

I bought the container, and checked online for ways to use it.  I developed the following recipe, crossing my fingers that the family would like it. 

John came home from college last night for spring break.  I wanted to have a nice dinner for him.  I put my creation together last night, said, "Well, let's see how it tastes!"  
Lo and behold, we all liked it! 

I was surprised when I tasted the creme fraiche.  I expected it to taste like sour cream, but it didn't at all.  It was much creamier, and almost sweet.  Very nice.

Fraiche Mushroom Pasta (with chicken)
(serves 6)

Start water to cook your GF pasta.  I cooked up 16 oz of "Notta Pasta" fettuccini.
(It's a rice pasta.)

Take your 12" cast iron skillet.

Saute two cloves garlic, minced (but I used the cool grater dish above), and
16 oz of sliced fresh mushrooms
in 2 Tbs olive oil.

When it looks about ready, sprinkle with Italian herbs.

Add one 9-oz package Perdue Short Cuts (grilled Italian style),
which is cooked chicken that has been sliced up nicely for quick and easy use.

Add ~5 oz of white wine.  I used a Chardonnay from a single serve bottle.

Let that simmer a minute.

Add 8 oz of creme fraiche and let it just heat through.

Turn off your heat. 

Pour this over your cooked and drained pasta, in a big bowl.

Serve with the ever-beloved parmesan to sprinkle on top!