The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Friday, February 18, 2011

Roasted Broccoli and Peppers



This is a manatee in the South Florida museum in Bradenton, Florida.  He is a pretty old manatee (over 60 years old!) that cannot be released into the natural environment. 
His name is "Snooty."  He likes lettuce and broccoli and things like that. 
I had the opportunity to see him in early 2010.

Manatees are fascinating beings.  Big and slow and adorable. 
I watched this guy for quite a while. 

Snooty likes his veggies fresh, but roasting them is nice for humans.  For my Mom's birthday dinner I roasted broccoli and red peppers.  I need to do more of this roasting. 
I could have used more leftovers on that one!

Roasted Broccoli and Peppers
(Serves 4-6)

Preheat your oven to 425.  (400 will work, too.)

Take 3 stalks of broccoli, trim the stalks a little, and halve them lengthwise.

Slice up a red bell pepper into chunks or strips.  (I made pieces about 3/4" by 2").

Coat your skillet with olive oil, put the veggies in artistically,
and drizzle olive oil over it all.

Sprinkle with seasonings to taste.  I used that WOW seasoning that I have used in the past.  You probably want a small amount of salt in the seasoning. 
A little garlic is nice, too.

Cover with foil.  Bake 10-15 minutes.   Uncover.  Bake 10 min. more.