The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chicken Sausage


How I am fighting the winter blues:

1.  I have flowers.

2.  I got my hair done with low-lights.

3.  I am wearing bright colors.

4.  I write 10 good things about each day in my journal at night.

5.  I exercise at Zumba class.

Of course, you can't do the exercise at Zumba, get flowers, or get your hair done if you can't get out of the house.....luckily we have had a bit of a break here.  The sun shone all Sunday, and it was glorious. 

Still a lot of snow, however....


On Friday I got out to do errands, which took twice as long as it would normally due to the difficulties driving (it's hard to see around the high snowbanks) and parking (there are very few spaces available due to all the snow, which is piled up wherever they could figure).  Whole Foods had their chicken sausage on sale.  Their basic mild and hot chicken sausages are gluten free.  (Always check this!!)  I took eight home and cooked them up.  They can go with gluten free pasta, into sandwiches, in soups, or whatever!

Chicken Sausage

Put your sausages in an appropriate cast iron skillet.
Put in a half cup of water.
Turn on the heat, cover, and let it bubble away for a while.
I let mine cook for about 30 minutes.  You want to fully cook the meat.
Uncover.
Let the remaining water boil off.
Brown on each side.
Eat some and save some for other uses.