The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Sunday, December 5, 2010

Quick and Easy Vegetable Rice Medley


I have been getting a lot of Christmas shopping done.  I also started wrapping, placing the finished items in Katie's old room.  Today Peter is putting up the outdoor decorations; I will place the candles in the windows and the wreaths on the doors.

Here is a quick and easy recipe that I devised when the kids were small.  Easy to ensure it's gluten free, reheats like a charm, tastes delicious.  Try it during this busy time of year!

HH's Quick and Easy Rice Vegetable Rice Medley

Take your 12-inch skillet.
Cook 1 chopped onion in 1 Tbs olive oil.
Add 1 cup of rice.  I used "Royal Blend".  Cook and stir to let it brown slightly.

Look at your rice container's directions.  How much liquid does it recommend for one cup of rice?  Mine recommended 1 1/2 cups of liquid, so I used 1 cup of GF chicken broth, 1/2 cup of water, and one GF chicken bouillon cube.  When I have used "converted rice," I used 2 1/2 cups of water and two of the bouillon cubes.  What you use depends on what you have on hand....but I always use either bouillon cubes with water, and/or chicken broth.  (You want a flavorful dish!)

Add your liquid stuff to your pan.  It will immediately bubble...be careful!!!  (Go slowly and step back!)

Add some parsley for color.  About a tablespoon.

Cover and simmer 10 min.

Add 2 cups of frozen vegetables.  I used peas with mushrooms.

Add 1-2 cups of cut up cooked chicken or ham, if desired.  For today's version I cut up 12 oz. of little ham steaks.  Other times I have used a 9-oz package of Purdue "Short Cuts." 

Cover again and simmer 10-20 min more on low, or until the liquid is absorbed.  You need to keep an eye on it to make sure the temperature is right and you stop cooking when it's done.

Add 1/4 cup parmesan; mix well and serve.