The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Flying Off the Handle: Chicken Curry Stew




I am tired today.  I have been doing some holiday baking, wrapping, shopping, and card-writing.  There is still a lot more to do.  I am sure the reader can relate.

Today John went off with his friends for a little holiday sightseeing and shopping in Newport.  I told him I would have a nice dinner when he came home, for him and his friends.  What to serve four young adults when you aren't quite sure when they are coming?

The crock pot is tailor-made to days like this.....

This was the second time I made the following chicken curry stew.  When you see a range of amounts, it reflects the first time I made it and the second time I made it. 
(I added more vegetables for more diners.) 

I never used coconut milk before this recipe, and was pleasantly surprised at how this came out!

HH's Chicken Curry Stew
(Serves 6-8)


Put the following in your crock pot:

1-1/2 lbs boneless chicken breast, cut into chunks,
1 onion, chopped,
1 to 2 potatoes, cut into small chunks,
9 to 16 oz frozen baby lima beans,
zero to 16 oz of sliced carrots (or baby carrots),
1 cup to a full 13-oz can of light coconut milk,
1 12-oz can diced tomatoes (I like mine fire roasted!),
1 Tbs cumin,
1 Tbs curry powder, and
1 tsp salt.

Mix it up.

Put the cover on your crock pot. 
Set it to high for 5 hours, or low for 10 hours.

Wave bye-bye as you allow your crock pot to do the work.
Serve with some parsley or cilantro on top as a garnish.