The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Saturday, September 18, 2010

Getting a Handle on: Pan Sizes


This is a photo of the boardwalk on Cape Cod that I was on this summer.  It looks easy enough, but it was low tide and there was quite a drop off the sides of this thing.  It is also longer than I figured.  Only a small section of it had handrails.  I got halfway across when I realized it was all a little disconcerting.  Way ahead of me....way behind me.....nothing to keep me from falling off the edge except myself.... 

With Peter encouraging me, I made it to the end, but decided to turn around and head right back again because I didn't want to be walking on it after sunset.  I also didn't want to lose my momentum or my nerve.  I took one step at a time straight down the middle of the walkway and got back.  Phew!

That's my life.  Making my way one step at a time. 

It occurred to me that I should write about how I think about adapting some recipes to the cast iron skillet.  I had done some math earlier.  Hopefully, I did the math correctly (yes, I do round my 10-1/4 inch skillet to 10 inches in diameter).....and I noted the following approximate areas:

6-inch round skillet:  28 sq. in.
8-inch round skillet:  50 sq. in.
9-inch round cake pan:  63.5 sq. in.
8-inch square pan:  64 sq. in.
10-inch round skillet:  78.5 sq. in.
9-inch square pan:  81 sq. in.
12-inch round skillet:  113 sq. in.
9x13 oblong pan:  117 sq. in.

So, I figure I can adapt a recipe that bakes in a 9x13 oblong pan to the 12-inch round skillet, and the 10-inch round skillet isn't too far off from a 9-inch square pan.  If I had a cake recipe that calls for a 9-inch round cake pan, perhaps I would try using my two 6-inch round skillets, adjusting the baking time accordingly. 

Well, it's just food for thought.  One little step in my thinking process.