The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Thursday, August 12, 2010

Getting a Handle on: Using Up Leftovers!

It's been a busy week.  Truth be told, I will probably be posting twice a week instead of three at this point.  However, I've been having a blast doing this.  The summer is rapidly closing in on me and the school year will begin.  Then I go back to my "regular" job, and it keeps me very busy.  But that has its fun moments, too.

Peter and I took a quick overnight trip to the Cape, where our friends Ellen and Ken have a new home.  With our friends, we toured the Heritage Museum, watched the sun set from a *very* long boardwalk, and spent a morning at the beach.  Here are some pictures to prove it:




There have been a million little details for me to attend to this week.  Last night, again, I needed a quick dinner, and I also needed to get rid of a few things in my refrigerator.  I had one more of those red peppers that I had purchased on sale, a baked potato from Dad's dinner, some cottage cheese on the verge of being discarded.....you get the idea.  I concocted another frittata, which seems to come out great in the 10" skillet.  Served with some toast, it's easy and great for using up all those odds and ends.   Serves 3-4.

Use-it-up Frittata

Take your 10" cast iron skillet.  Put it on your stove, set to medium.

Heat up 1 Tbs oil or butter.  I happened to use Earth Balance Margarine.

Cook up a cup or so of fresh veggies...not tomato, since my experience is that the acid in the tomato breaks down my nice seasoning on the cast iron.   I used my one red pepper, chopped.  I would have added onion, but I thought Katie might have been joining us, and she dislikes onion.  Cook until these veggies soften up to your liking. 

Add about a half cup of other previously-cooked veggies you may want to get rid of.  I added one baked potato, cut up. 

Add about a cup of chopped-up meat that you think will taste good in there.  I used about 4 oz of ham that didn't get used for sandwiches.  It was sliced thin, and I just sliced that into strips. 

Let it cook up together a little.  Meanwhile, beat 4 eggs.  This is where I added 1/2 cup of cottage cheese to the mixture.  I also added about 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, and about 1/4 tsp garlic powder.  Mix this all together.

Pour over the veggies.  Sprinkle liberally with parmesan cheese and let it cook a while.  Meanwhile, turn on the broiler.  When the egg mixture looks like it is setting, I put the whole thing under the broiler.  Not very close....I don't want it to burn or anything.  I keep an eye on it and watch, removing it just as I see some browning. 

I let everyone know dinner will be ready soon.  When your frittata is ready, it's ready!