The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Saturday, August 28, 2010

Getting a Handle on: Gluten Free at College

A guest blog by John.....



There are lots of things to keep in mind once you head off to college with your gluten problem, diagnosed or not. I spent my first year suffering (and I didn't even know it!), and things finally started getting somewhere after my diagnosis near the end of my 3rd semester. I've picked up a few main points along the way so far, and with the new semester kicking off, figured I'd pass 'em along!

First, I've learned that it's crucial in all matters to be prepared. I always make sure I've stocked up in my dorm room on bars (Lara bars, Kind bars) and cereal (anything by Enjoy Life, as well as the gluten free Chex and the gluten free Barbara's Puffins), which are very easy to bring anywhere I might need that extra food. I used to weird myself out at first, carrying in this "foreign" food to events, restaurants, and dining halls. But it's really useful until you can establish some regular dialog with the dining services staff, and always useful whenever you're out with your friends.

Next, talk to your dining staff! Make sure they know your face, your name, and your needs, and don't be afraid to speak up and take them up on their offers. At my university I was able to set up a meeting with one of the head chefs, the nutritionist, the manager of the dining hall I frequent the most, and some senior dining staff. We discussed all my food options and I learned everything I had open to me, from a special gluten free section of foods, to options I had such as calling ahead before I planned to eat, to have the staff prepare me a gluten free version of a particular entree on that day's menu. The human connection is important!

In addition, always be vigilant in the dining halls, even after consulting with the staff. You've got several thousand variables, aka the other students that are also using every single utensil and serving pieces that you touch. As cliche as it sounds, trust no one on your side of the serving line. Who knows if they touched the serving utensil for the mashed potatoes to their stuffing to pat it down? Or did they mix the ladles from the gluten-laden vodka sauce in with the gluten free marinara because they were being impatient waiting for the proper ladle? The list goes on. This is in particular important for me as I am very sensitive and the smallest bit will set me off for days.

Finally, events and get togethers with your friends don't always have to be about food. Yes it's wicked common for it to be a focus because that's just how we work. Late night pizza study session, going out to grab wings and play video games, or whatever. There's plenty to do around campus that's food free and still lots of fun with your friends, you just have to think a little bit and be creative. Hike around the trails if you're in a rural area, go see a concert, go watch a game, there's lots of possibities that you can tailor to you and your friends that still results in a great time but without all the food-related stress!

These are my main points that I find most crucial to living gluten free, with celiac disease, at the college level. It's a big adjustment, and seems almost impossible at first. But it's all about taking steps and remembering that this is your health, and you'll be able to pull it off and keep it up, because simply, you feel better when you put in the effort to get things right for yourself. It is possible and sustainable and you can do it!