The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Saturday, August 7, 2010

Flying Off the Handle: Lora Brody's Bete Noir

This week my Dad had a "milestone" birthday.  I invited my family over for a dinner of grilled chicken with baked potato and salad. 

What to do for a cake?  It doesn't seem right to have two cakes for a small event like this.  Who needs the stress of hoping a crumb from one cake doesn't fall on the dessert plate of your gluten free person?  And would you really want to be looking at a delicious cake that you can't eat?

When I was first married I made the most delicious cake that didn't have any flour at all.  Although you can find other flourless chocolate cakes online, I didn't see the point of trying something else when this is so good.  King Arthur Flour has it on their site, and you can find it here.

This is probably the most decadent cake I have ever made, with two sticks of butter and 12 ounces of chocolate.  But if you cut your pieces small and have it only as a special treat, this cake can fit into a healthy eating plan.  I had 8 at my dinner, but still had leftover.  I would say it could serve 12 nicely. 

Happy birthday, Dad!!