The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Saturday, August 14, 2010

Flying Off the Handle: Boudro's Guacamole

In April 2009 I was happy to have the chance to visit San Antonio's Riverwalk.  We asked at the hotel desk where they would recommend that we dine to experience the local cuisine.  They immediately responded that we should head to Boudro's Restaurant.  Here is a photo of a section of the Riverwalk:


We were lucky enough to get a table for two outside, right along the Riverwalk.  On recommendation from the hotel, we ordered the tableside guacamole. 

I decided that this stuff could sustain life all by itself. 

I watched our server prepare the guacamole and could see how easy it is.  I took notes, then went home and found the recipe online.  The recipe is available here.

For the tomatoes, I just use canned roasted tomatoes,  like Hunts Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes.   I may use a tablespoon of orange juice instead of the "juice of 1/4 of an orange," and a tablespoon of bottled lime juice for the "juice of 1/2 a lime."  I use 1/2 tsp. salt.  I understand the Serrano pepper is optional. 

I think the lime really does it for me.   I usually double the recipe and use two avocados.  I have had more success when I stick to the Haas avocados....they have a nicer texture.  Delicious!