The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Chicken and Pineapple Over Rice

This is me today:


I took this photo at the Connecticut Science Center, when I took John there as a last summer hurrah before both of us headed back to classes.  He, however, is very happy to be back with his friends.  Today, I spent the afternoon doing paperwork in a second floor classroom with 95+ degrees outside and probably higher than that in my classroom.  I kept figuring that I could go home and work on the computer in the a/c, but there was too much to accomplish in person.  That wasn't fun.

I came home and puttered around a little.  I had taken some frozen chicken breast halves out of the freezer this morning, placing them safely in the refrigerator to [kind of] thaw, so they were perfect for slicing at that point.  I took my 10" skillet.  No recipe online matched what I wanted to do so I just did it. 

Chicken and Pineapple Over Rice  (Serves 2)

I took two chicken breast halves,
and sliced them fairly thin, like 1/4" wide.

I heated 2 Tbs. canola oil
and added the chicken.

Meanwhile, some rice had been started in another pot.....

When the chicken looked cooked, I added one onion, sliced into thin strips
and 1 Tbs. of "Yikes" seasoning, which is a little spicy (and I needed that today).

It needed color, so I put in one carrot, very thinly sliced.

I turned down the heat and had a half glass of wine until Peter got home.

When his car was in the driveway, I threw in one 20-oz can of pineapple chunks, drained.  This should be added at the end, since you don't want to have the acid of the pineapple eating away at your cast iron seasoning.....

Heat briefly.  Serve over rice.

Uh....it was so good that we forgot to take pictures.  I remembered about pictures after dinner.  So....Here is Peter's empty dish....



Sorry about that!!!  ;)

Okay, time to finish that computer work....school begins tomorrow...