The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Round-Like-the-Moon Sour Cream Coffee Cake

On Saturday night Peter and I went to my cousin Nancy's birthday party.  It was on Sheffield Island, which is a 30-minute ferry ride from Norwalk, CT.  They had clams and mussels, then your entree of chicken or beef or whatever, with grilled vegetables.  It was a fun evening.

We took a tour of the historic light house there.  The sun was setting and the moon was rising.  The full moon was actually yesterday, but Saturday's moon seemed full enough!  I was overtaken by the beauty of the moonlight sparkling on the water.  I took lots of photos.  Here is the best one, I think:


I find the moon to be fascinating.  I mark my calendar with the dates of the full moon, but I don't necessarily pay attention to it until the moon is out in all its glory and making me breathless. 

I guess I like round things.  I like the moon and hand-made pottery bowls and cast iron skillets.  

I have a new 6" skillet and have been thinking how nice it would be to have an array of recipes for making smaller-sized gluten free cakes in it.  Small cakes that I don't need to push on people to eat it up so it doesn't go bad.  A nice dessert for 3 or 4 people, with a couple of pieces left over for the next day.  (My family doesn't tend to eat big servings of dessert.)

I played around with it a few times, and although I am still working on it, I had success with this recipe.  It came up a little high in the pan, so sprinkling a topping on it was rather tricky, but it was moist and not crumbly, even two days later.  Here is what I did:

  Round-Like-the-Moon Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a 6" cast iron skillet.

Mix 3/4 cup gluten free pancake mix (I used Cherrybrook Kitchen Gluten free Dreams),
1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and
1/4 cup sugar.

Add 1 Tbs. oil,
1 tsp vanilla,
1 egg, and
1/2 cup sour cream.

Bake 20 min.

Meanwhile, mix until crumbly: 

3 Tbs sugar,
1 Tbs. Earth Balance margarine, and
3 Tbs. mini chocolate chips.

Top the cake with your mixture.

Turn on the broiler and broil a few minutes to set the topping.  (My cake was probably at least 6 inches from the broiler.)

Let it cool, and serve.  If you have any left over, do not store it in your pan; instead, transfer it to a plate and cover with plastic wrap.