The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Wednesday, July 14, 2010

No-time quick dinner

It is a busy week.  On Sunday, I had a shower for Katie.  The tables looked beautiful with the flowers that Phyllis, Andy's mom, provided. 


Everything went great.   Our local Hilton Garden Inn did a wonderful job.  Katie looked absolutely radiant. 

I also have been taking a bunch of classes provided by my employer during the summer months for teachers.  I love to learn, so I signed up for eight.  Yup, eight.  How can you go wrong when they are free? 

The only downside is that most are packed into this week and next.  Add to that the fact that I am trying to do some decluttering, and we have company coming tomorrow, and there are wedding tasks.....well, yesterday there weren't many minutes available for cooking. 

I threw a small ham steak on the 8" pan, and heated that up.  Add a salad with cheese, dried cranberries, etc.  It was pretty good!



I have been heating up some water to boiling in a separate pan as the cast iron skillet is active on the stove.  When I am done with the skillet, I pour some hot water in....then, after dinner, it is still warm and seems to make for an easy clean-up!