The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Saturday, July 24, 2010

Flying Off the Handle: Key Lime Pie

Today it is so humid out that this is what all the windows in my house look like:


You would think we are living in Florida!

I was in Florida in late March.  We were in the Clearwater area.  We had a really nice time learning about sea turtles and manatees.  We saw manatees in the wild and took pictures.  We watched dolphins gracefully jumping in the bay.  It was fascinating to a northerner like me!

At dinner one evening and I ordered key lime pie for dessert.  As I enjoyed it, I could only think, "I can make this for John."  So I went home and tried a recipe.  It was okay, but not exactly what I had been looking for.  Then I found a different type of filling.  I combined that with my own pie crust and WOW.  This was it!  I have since made this key lime pie 3 or 4 times.  It is not low calorie or low fat, so make your servings on the smaller side.  Before we begin, however, I have found these cookies to be wonderful for the crumb crust!



HH's Key Lime Pie

Preheat your oven to 350.

Take one 8-oz package of GF cinnamon cookies,
and whirl them in a food processor until they are little crumbs.
Add 6 Tbs of melted butter and whirl again.

Press into a pie dish and bake for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, use a whisk to blend:

2 14-oz cans of sweetened condensed milk,
3/4 cup of key lime juice (this can be hard to find.....in my local market they had it hiding with the mixers!), and
1/2 cup sour cream

Pour this into the hot crust and pop it back in the oven for 6-7 minutes.  Seriously. 
That's it.

Chill.  Serve with whipped cream on top.