The Hot Handle

A blog interspersed with occasional gluten free recipes.

Please note: If you have a family member who requires a gluten free diet, be sure to use a cast iron skillet that has never previously touched gluten....and if it has, scrub it all down completely and re-season, to be on the safe side.

Looking for information on Celiac Disease? There are many good sites, but here is one to get started with:
www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101.



Thursday, June 24, 2010

Gluten Free When at Someone Else's Cookout


This past weekend was Father's Day.  Hubby (Peter) was busy painting parts of his hot rod.  This takes a lot of planning and equipment.  Thankfully he thought ahead to keeping his skin and lungs clean.  Here is a picture of how he looked:



I told him he looked like someone in a sci-fi movie!

We spent Father's Day afternoon at my brother's house.  He likes to grill for my Dad and Peter.  I called beforehand to inquire about gluten free eating for my GF son, John. 

First question:  "Do you usually toast your rolls on the grill?"

"Well, yes," he said. 

"Okay, no problem," I told him.  "I will bring my cast iron skillet."

Second question:  "Are you marinating the chicken?"

"Well, yes."  Of course, Murphy's Law ensures that the marinade contained soy sauce, which has wheat.  

"That's okay.  Naked chicken is fine,"  I assured.


The day of the cookout, I took along a showstopper dessert and my trusty 8-inch cast iron skillet.  This skillet is not too heavy to lug around.

The grill was pretty full, and I could tell it wouldn't be a good idea to add my skillet to all the other food on there, adding to confusion.  I took the skillet inside and heated it up on the stove.  With John looking on, I threw in a little olive oil and heated that while I seasoned the boneless chicken with thyme, parsley, salt and pepper.  I browned the chicken, grabbed a lid from elsewhere in the kitchen, added asparagus that I didn't want to be on the grill surface, and let it ride a while.  

Here is how it looked!

 

Well, John, my GF son, loved it. 

When we finished eating, the pan was still warm, so I rinsed it with hot water, scrubbed it with a little table salt on a paper towel, dried it thoroughly and set it aside to go home.

GF?  No problem!  :)